Thoughts on Films – Episode 8: Inner View with Ezzah MahmudFebruary 1, 2014
Happy Lunar New Year to all (14 of) our listeners! Yes, not all may be of Oriental origins, but we all get the holiday as well, so let’s get cracking. A new year, a new month, a new week…and a new episode of the only film podcast in Bahasa Malaysia. In this episode, the boys and Ezzah briefly run the rule over ’47 Ronin’, before delving in her nascent career as a filmmaker. Lastly, we’ll look at Al Alif’s ‘Bumbung’ in Filpen Minggu Ini, wrapping up another episode of the only film podcast in the world (probably not) that confuses mamak workers with teh o ais limau kosong!
Dan Lain Lain
- The movie, ’47 Ronin’, a film that was based on Japan’s legendary folklore…
- …and why the film sucked
- All the same, here’s an interview with the director, Carl Rinsch, and his short film that apparently won him the directing gig
- Unfortunately, it is not the same gift as this, which also had Keanu in it playing a wife-beater redneck, because they’re not the same present, ho hum
- Speaking of which, Keanu Reeves wasn’t the first white dude to play a samurai, because Tom Cruise beat him to that but Keanu beats Tom to be the first to direct his first movie, ‘Man of Tai Chi’
- By the way, check out ‘The Lake House’, starring Keanu and Sandra Bullock which was an adaptation from this Korean film, ‘Il Mare’
- Here’s our recent review of ‘Ayat-ayat Cinta’, and our no-review of ‘The Last Emperor’ by Bernardo Bertolucci
- Read up on Japan’s four-tiered class system in feudal times, where society’s structure was categorised by occupations
- And permapan means memantapkan in Malay, and mapan is the root word which is another word for mantap
Inner View: Ezzah Mahmud
- The tune that was meant for Ezzah
- Welcome to Faculty of Film, Theatre and Animation, University Technology Mara!
- Who is Mustafa Davis? Here’s ‘Deen Tight’, a documentary he directed
- What is cinema verite?
- What does ‘5 Broken Hearts’ look like? You can watch that, and check out the inspiration, ‘5 Broken Cameras’ by Emad Burnat
- Michael Moore’s ‘Capitalism: A Love Story’
- Have a listen to Ben Howard‘s ‘Depth Over Distance’, then watch Ezzah’s documentary here
- Roland Barthes and ‘The Death of The Author’
- Here’s an interview with Ezzah and her bestie Aisyah Ezral
Filpen Minggu Ini
- ‘Bumbung’ by Al Alif