This episode of the podcast is a special interview with Malaysian filmmaker Kan Varren. The director of ‘Garang’, released in 2019 and billed as Malaysia’s first action film to feature difabled characters in lead roles, sits down to discuss the origins of his career and how it led him to the making of his feature film debut. He also opens up on the challenges he faced in making the film, his experience in the Indian film industry, and why the film remains a source of pride and satisfaction in the face of intense criticism.
- There are times when we use the term difabled instead of disabled. This is why. We fall back on the latter out of habit, but intend to prioritise the former as much as possible
- Watch the film on KiniDia, a platform offering Malaysian flicks on demand
- Intermission: ‘Garang’ (trailer)
- Theme Song: Airplane Mode by Josh Woodward
- Download the episode here, or catch us on PodBean, Acast, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Player FM, Stitcher and TuneIn
Featured image credit and podcast cover art: Erkan Utu / Pexels