Fikri and Nadia waxes lyrical about the Indonesian film, ‘Penyalin Cahaya’. A big winner at Festival Film Indonesia 2021, the Wregas Banuteja-directed film has been gaining traction on Netflix. In this spoiler-filled discussion, Nadia considers how the film works in a cultural sense, as well as its depictions of university life. Meanwhile, Fikri touches on the film’s bigger picture legal contexts, such as its interaction with aspects of the law, as well as recent controversies surrounding the film itself.
- Watch the film on Netflix
- Read our interview with Yudho Aditya, Chicco Kurniawan’s director for ‘Pria’, which touches on his courage in taking the role
- Sources for the episode include Time, The Star, Tempo, The Conversation, Jakarta Globe and Tirto
- Intermission: ‘Penyalin Cahaya’ (official trailer)
- Theme Song: Airplane Mode by Josh Woodward
- Download the episode here, or catch us on PodBean, Acast, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Player FM, Stitcher and TuneIn
Featured image credit and podcast cover art: Erkan Utu / Pexels