Selamat Hari Raya to all! Recorded at the end of Ramadhan, this episode is a special interview with Anwar Johari Ho, the director of ‘Forget Me Not’. Fikri sits down with him (online, natch) to discuss his career thus far, and how his education journey has helped (or not) with his film one. In the second half, they delve deeper into Anwar’s film, discussing issues related to Chineseness, how it relates to his own personal contexts, and the peaks and troughs experienced in making the film. Have a listen, and enjoy the episode as you enjoy your lemang (if you can find some, that is)!
- We previously reviewed ‘Forget Me Not’
- Also a part of the unofficial Yilei Cinematic Universe (YCU) are the films ‘Happy New Year’ and ‘Unforgettable’
- As an aside, here is an excerpt from a piece in 2014 about Chinese Malaysian films
- Who better and more accurate to discuss Gerard Butler’s brief legal career than the man himself?
- More relevant are some thoughts we published on East Malaysian identity in a Malaysian context here, here and here
- Intermission: Forget Me Not – Teaser Trailer
- Theme Song: Airplane Mode by Josh Woodward
- Download the episode here, or catch us on PodBean, Acast, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Player FM, Stitcher and TuneIn
Featured image credit and podcast cover art: Erkan Utu / Pexels