This episode is an exclusive interview with subtitlist Iki Ali. He discusses the origins of his career as a subtitlist, the challenges he has faced thus far in his career, and how those interested may get their start in the field. Fikri and Iki also considers how certain languages may be prioritised over another (or not), how his work has affected his viewing of films, and why ‘Dune’ has great subtitles. Iki did the subtitles for ‘Prebet Sapu’, which will be released in cinemas on Thursday 16th December 2021.
- We previously interviewed Indonesian subtitlist Wina in episode 43
- Some of the films and shows Iki did subtitles for include ‘Paradise PD’ and ‘Siapa Tutup Lampu?’
- Read our review of ‘Prebet Sapu’
- Intermission: ‘Paradise PD’, available on Netflix
- Theme Song: Airplane Mode by Josh Woodward
- Download the episode here, or catch us on PodBean, Acast, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Player FM, Stitcher and TuneIn
Featured image credit and podcast cover art: Erkan Utu / Pexels