This week, Fikri and Muz are back to discuss the film ‘Ninavau’ by Bebbra Mailin. The film enjoyed a banner year in 2019, winning numerous awards and selections for festivals in Malaysia and beyond. The boys consider the film in its own right, discussing its fine technical merits, before expanding the discussion to the bigger picture context. This includes talking about pressures on minorities, inter-religious tensions and whether it would be more accurate to discuss the concept of Bornean cinema on its own terms.
- We previously interviewed Bebbra here, and featured her on episodes 19 and 20
- Read our review of ‘Rapuh’
- Check out more informed views about East Malaysian cinema, featuring Nadira Ilana, Putri Purnama Sugua and Jasmine Suraya Chin here, here and here
- Intermission: Ninavau (teaser)
- Theme Song: Airplane Mode by Josh Woodward
- Download the episode here, or follow us on PodBean
Featured image credit and podcast cover art: Erkan Utu / Pexels