We kick off the next century of episodes by looking at selected Indonesian films from 2022. Friend of the show Nadia returns along with a debuting Tiara, and their passion for Indonesian cinema will guide Fikri through this discussion inspired by an article in The Jakarta Post. The first of two parts considers the films they have seen (or not!) in ‘Pengabdi Setan 2’, ‘Noktah Merah Perkawinan’, ‘Keramat 2’, ‘Mencuri Raden Saleh’ and ‘Evakuasi Mama Emola’, touching on the representation of female role models, the monstrous feminine in horror and whether the film landscape is still a Java-centric one.
- We covered the 2021 list from The Jakarta Post in episodes 91 and 92
- We also focused on ‘Penyalin Cahaya’ in episode 94
- The selection is inspired from a top ten list published by The Jakarta Post
- Intermissions: ‘Pengabdi Setan 2’ (trailer), ‘Noktah Merah Perkawinan’ (clip) and ‘Mencuri Raden Saleh’ (teaser)
- Theme Song: Airplane Mode by Josh Woodward
- Download the episode here, or catch us on PodBean, Acast, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Player FM, Stitcher and TuneIn
Featured image credit and podcast cover art: Erkan Utu / Pexels