Fikri, Nadia and Tiara conclude their discussion on selected 2022 Indonesian films. Inspired by an article in The Jakarta Post, they run through the rigmarole of films they have seen (or not) in ‘Nana’, ‘Like & Share’, ‘The Big 4’ and ‘Ngeri-Ngeri Sedap’. They discuss the communist purge in the 1960s, contexts of female conditioning, the representation of youth angst on screen, and how common cultures like Bataknese are seen on screen. They also consider films that did not make the official cut, like ‘KKN Di Desa Penari’ and ‘Sayap-Sayap Patah’.
- Listen to part 1 here, as well as the 2021 list in episodes 91 and 92
- We discussed ‘Penyalin Cahaya’ in episode 94
- The selection is inspired from a top ten list published by The Jakarta Post
- Intermissions: ‘Nana’ (trailer), ‘Like & Share’ (trailer) and ‘Ngeri-Ngeri Sedap’ (trailer)
- Theme Song: Airplane Mode by Josh Woodward
- Download the episode here, or catch us on PodBean, Acast, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Player FM, Stitcher and TuneIn
Featured image credit and podcast cover art: Erkan Utu / Pexels